Shrimp and pineapple curry. It just felt right today. Possibly it was the bright vibrant colors of this meal that matched the bright colored 72 degree sun on this wintery Florida day. But it was just perfect. And it did it’s job. It impressed my Mom and my sister who are now here for 2 weeks! HOORAY! The beauty of them here is that I get a bit of a vacation too! Yes, I do have my first born organized list of everything we must go and see and do. Beach, zoo, museums, shopping, favorite coffee shops and restaurants, and all the cool things downtown. Making this dish just was a perfect start of our vacation time together. I am hoping that the little bit of experience cooking I now have under my belt will melt away any memories of my growing up years and all the horror stories that my family has of me in the kitchen. If you ask Satya, he has a few stories of his own, but yes, they are becoming less frequent and the smiles and looks of approval are becoming more common.
And this dish it it is so incredibly flavorful and so so so super simple. With 5 girls in one house now, suitcases taking up the living room and our sweet peas toys scattered around the house, simple is very good.
The ingredients together make one really beautiful dish. You take pineapple and add some coconut cream, Thai red curry paste, fish sauce, a pinch of some sugar and bring this to a boil. Then you throw in the shrimp with a couple a tablespoons of green cilantro and dinner is served! The coconut cream gives a hint of sweetness and yet it is balanced out so nicely with the Thai red curry paste that gives the dish a bit of a kick. It seems impossible that something so delicious and rich in flavor could take so little time. If you don’t have a taste for anything spicy whatsoever than you can reduce the Thai red curry paste to 1/2 tablespoon rather than two.
So here’s to deliciously yummy curry and family and friends to eat it with.
- 1¾ cups of coconut cream
- 20 oz can of pineapple chunks or ½ of a fresh pineapple peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Thai red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2½ tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 12 oz of jumbo shrimp peeled and devein
- Steamed rice to serve
- Heat coconut cream, pineapple chunks, fish sauce, Thai red curry paste and sugar in pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the peeled and deveined shrimp and the cilantro and simmer for approximately 4 minutes until the shrimp has turned pink.
- Serve the dish hot with steamed rice